17 April, 2009

JT + AH

Dear Alexander Henry-

I’ve been trying to work up the nerve to tell you this for a while, but now I think I can.

I love you.

For years, I’ve had the feeling that you and I were soulmates. I’d walk into a fabric store, feel magnetically drawn to one colorful print or another, and when I read your name on the bolt, I’m never surprised. It’s like you know me, know my giddiness over a fabulous design, and then try to make more to keep that excitement fresh. Let me tell you, it’s worked. Oh my how it’s worked. The money I’ve spent over the years on fabric I didn’t have a project for but HAD TO OWN, the desire to hold on tight to a new piece, not wishing to let it go, simply because of how my heart pitter patters at the sight. It has gotten to a point where you not only make things that make me happy, but you anticipate my happiness. While it’s only been over the last decade I’ve been conscious of your existence, I have no doubt many of my 90s era textile adrenaline rushes were your doing as well, I didn’t know you then, but I think you were there, hiding in plain sight.

How long have we been meant to be? To quote a favorite movie, "since always." My absolutely favorite Christmas gift I was given this year was a set of vintage curtains that I had seen at a local antique store. Pucci-esque in pattern with bright vivid colors, it was love at first sight. It wasn’t until they were mine at last that I saw the unexpected yet destined name printed on the selvage. Alexander Henry. It was you, in vintage form, all along.



Will my declaration mean the magic goes away? I think not. When one meets their soulmate, it’s for keeps. You don't have to say anything; I just wanted you to know.

With love, affection, and a lifetime of fabric purchases ahead,

Jodi

No comments: